Early Learning Scholarships - Provider Expectations/Eligibility
period ending September 30, 2022
The goal of the Early Learning Scholarship is to increase access to high quality care for young children in low and moderate earning families in Nebraska. Funding is being made available to providers engaged in delivery of quality early learning environments and experiences for young children. Participating child care providers are providing ongoing learning, continuous quality improvement, and supporting their early childhood professional workforce through improvements in wages and benefits.
The Early Learning Scholarship is intended to support working families in meeting the high cost of quality care for children six weeks through age 6 (pre-school only) in full day/full year settings or attending the Program due to a need for care that extends beyond the hours provided by a publicly funded program (i.e. wrapping hours around Head Start or Public Preschool).
Eligibility for Child Care Center and Family Child Care Homes:
Child care providers interested in participating in the Early Learning Scholarship opportunity must meet the following qualifications:
- Licensed and in good standing
- Enrolled in Step Up to Quality and have a plan to achieve Step 2 or higher within 12 months, and/or nationally accredited
- Offer full-time, year-round services
- Programs must have a contract (or be willing to obtain a contract) with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services to provide care for families on child care subsidy and must be serving at least one child (or be willing to serve children) on subsidy
- Implementing or planning to implement social emotional curricula such as Pyramid Model, Second Step, etc.
- Providing Infant/Toddler Care
- Programs must have or will agree to put a process in place to assure that potentially eligible families are receiving state subsidized dollars before a scholarship is awarded
- Agree to provide and maintain systems for detailed records of tuition assistance provided to eligible families, including attendance records
- Agree to provide required data for a collective evaluation
- Agree to keep completed family applications for scholarship program current and on file Agree to submit monthly reimbursement forms to Early Childhood Community Coordinator or designated community coordinator
- Regular communication with the Early Childhood Community Coordinator or designated community coordinator